Sunday, July 15, 2007

Crochet weekend

It's finished! The spiderweb cardigan (a.k.a. The Muppet Cardigan) is done! I finished it at the Alterknit counter over a bottle of organic lemon lime fizzy drink and a butter tart. (I'm in love with the butter tarts!) Check out the sweater:





Detail shot:




Once the sweater really starting taking shape, I wasn't sure I was liking it. I started to think it was looking a bit matronly. Mezzodiva helped me see how it would work on my petite self if I keep it open at the front and keep the sleeves at 3/4 length. All I need now is a couple of really nice tanks or camis to wear under it. I can't wait to show it off at work!

Here's something I whipped up last night:



This is my version of a jean skirt project idea in Interweave Crochet's Spring 2007 issue (page 9). Nancy Marchant's project was 2/3 crochet and 1/3 jean. I wasn't so sure about those proportions, but I like the idea of combining jean with crochet.

While shopping with my lovely cousin last month at Value Village, I found a jean skirt for $5.99. I used two balls of Cantata cotton crepe DK (colour 9480) to make this fringe. I followed the basic instructions from Interweave for the length, but then veered off from there. I picked the pattern from one of my crochet stitch guides. It's called SC Magic. Tight single crochets are used to make the medallion shapes.

Here's a detail shot:



This is really my first pattern creation! I think it's a good start.

Here's the vision, after some sewing has taken place:




The original pattern was worked as a ring. I decided to keep the slit in my skirt, so I worked it up straight across without joining it. I like how it will ruffle when it is gathered during the sewing.

Hubby's not so sure about this project, but I think I can pull it off with the right shoes and accessories. It's good bbq or day trip wear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cute! I love the sweater and the jeans are great!

Haley said...

how cool is that skirt thing!