Saturday, July 26, 2008

Top Secret Knit Project Revealed!

You may recall that I've been re-learning knitting (ever so slowly) and even posted a picture of the beginnings of my repeat performance of the first project that was top secret.

The first project was a gift for my lovely friend J who is expecting her first babe in September. The gift has been safely delivered by my own personal cross country couriers (thanks S & I!) to BC and I can now post pictures without spoiling the surprise! I'm a bit shocked that I don't have pics of J's blanket (how could I have overlooked recording my first-again knit project?), but here is a shot of the repeat performance that I am making for my babe:



(Hi, Hubby!)

I must give credit to S from SnB at Knitomatic for giving me the idea for this design. I procured her yarn choice (Mission Falls 1824) and the stripe idea, but made it my own. Instead of uniform stripes I decided to do a spontaneous pattern of thin and fat bars and I chose different colours as well. I also decided against fringe.

The garter stitch without a set pattern for the striping makes this a perfect portable project. No pattern to check or rows to count. It's easy to pick up and put down as time and tingly pregnant hands allow. (J was just telling me on the phone this morning that she hasn't been able to pick up a crochet hook for some time due to the pregnancy hand ache! Sorrow!)

Here is a picture of J having her first crochet lesson last summer when she was in town:



Baby update: We just heard from the genetic counsellor that my DNA is negative for retinoblastoma (the childhood cancer that made me a 2D Girl at 14 months of age)! Yippee! This means my cancer was a wild card and I won't pass it on to our babe. I was 99.9% sure it wasn't hereditary, but the genetic counsellor explained things in a way that convinced us to get the testing done.

The results came back just a few weeks before I would have to begin extra ultrasounds to check Babe's eyes, as an early detection method. Less trips to the ultrasound lab at Mount Sinai is music to my ears. The folks at Mount Sinai are lovely, but the lab is super busy and often backed up. Have you ever been in a waiting room with a bunch of pregnant women who may be waiting for over an hour for their appointment?! It can get ugly.

Our hypnobirthing class starts in a couple of weeks. I haven't been practicing the relaxation every night. Probably something I should be a bit more dedicated to if I really want the hypnobirthing to work for me. I'm almost finished the book and will pass it on to Hubby by Monday night.

Do you remember my crochet/Xbox debate with Hubby? Well, this morning Hubby shyly (ie. asking permission voice) told me he has a chance to 'babysit' an Xbox unit for a week. He also has the week off from his writers' room. I was so dumb struck this morning that I couldn't respond. Talk about a rush of mixed emotions. There is so much to get done before Babe arrives. So much to do that I doubt we'll get it all done if we work non-stop for the next ten weeks. I wisely thought it best to keep my mouth shut until my brain had a chance to think things through.

This afternoon I shared my thoughts with Hubby: permission granted, with the understanding that he balance his week between writing, domestic stuff, and the addictive Xbox. I do not want to be known on the street as the crazy 7 month pregnant woman who threw the borrowed Xbox onto the driveway in the middle of a thunderstorm. Not to mention that we'd have to buy Hubby's friend another Xbox. (I am very, very sensitive to the idea of being some voracious nag who denies her Hubby most of the things that make his life fun and boy-like. I feel a one-week loaner Xbox is a decent compromise from the 'over-my-dead-body' statements of the past.) Fingers crossed that it will be a win-win compromise.

2 comments:

Haley said...

the blanket looks great! the xbox sounds like trouble.

xox

Anonymous said...

The blanket is FABULOUS. I love it. And I love that it has no fringe!

Glad to hear about the test results.

Good luck with the xbox experiment.

- J